This is a quick and easy idea for making gifts in a hurry, especially if you don’t have the time or inclination to cook. I made this as a donation gift for my kids’ school Christmas Fair.
You will need:
– A jar (size depending on how many people the gift is for – this jar serves 4+ people and has a capacity of around 1kg/2lb but a regular jam jar would probably do for 1-2 people)
– Hot chocolate powder (for this jar I used one 400g jarful)
– A pack of mini marshmallows (you should be able to get these at most supermarkets)
– Milk chocolate chips (again, available at most supermarkets in the baking section)
– Around 30 cm coloured ribbon of your choice
– Credit card sized piece of card
– A hole punch
How to make it:
1) Pour the hot chocolate powder into the jar. Be aware that lots of ‘dust’ will rise up in clouds, so if you have breathing difficulties then you may need to wear a mask/get someone else to do this bit.
2) Tap the jar gently on a flat surface (eg table) to knock as many stray particles off the sides of the par as possible and help to level the powder in the jar.
3) Tip in the chocolate chips. It’s easiest to add a small amount at a time and rotate the jar a little each time to get an even layer.
4) Pack marshmallows into the top. You may need to push them down a bit to make sure there aren’t any large gaps.
5) Screw on the jar lid.
6) Prepare your label on the blank piece of card. You can make a Wordle label like I did by following this post I did recently on the subject, or alternatively illustrate it as you wish (this is a good way to use up old greetings cards!) On the reverse of the label, write your instructions for making up the hot chocolate – best to take these from the back of the pack you bought it in, as different mixes need milk/hot water etc
7) Hole punch the label, then thread your ribbon through the hole and tie it around the neck of the jar.
Other things you could put in the jars as toppings:
- Peppermints (or bashed up candy canes)
- Milky Way Magic Stars
- White chocolate chips
- Green and red M&Ms